To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Monday, April 6, 2009

Review: Blue Diablo

Author: Ann Aguirre
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pub Date: April 7, 2009

Teaser from the author's website:
Right now, I’m a redhead. I’ve been blonde and brunette as the situation requires, though an unscheduled color change usually means relocating in the middle of the night. So far, I’m doing well here. Nobody knows what I’m running from. And I’d like to keep it that way…

Eighteen months ago, Corine Solomon crossed the border to Mexico City, fleeing her past, her lover, and her “gift”. Corine, a handler, can touch something and know its history—and sometimes, its future. Using her ability, she can find the missing—and that’s why people never stop trying to find her. People like her ex, Chance…

Chance, whose uncanny luck has led him to her doorstep, needs her help. Someone dear to them both has gone missing in Laredo, Texas, and the only hope of finding her is through Corine’s gift. But their search may prove dangerous as the trail leads them into a strange dark world of demons and sorcerers, ghosts and witchcraft, zombies—and black magic…

My Thoughts:

I have been sitting here wasting time trying to write a perfect review because I enjoyed this book so much. Lets be real people...I loved this book! It was an excellent read with a great mix of mystery, suspense, action, supernatural elements, and some romance thrown in. Actually romantic interest might be a better description since Chance and Corine share a romantic past and their future is a bit cloudy. They are a couple who work well together and care deeply for each another, yet can't seem to make it work. If they would just throw caution to the wind and say what they feel, then who knows what could happen. Lets just say it would be hot.
I absolutely adore Corine. She doesn't consider herself pretty enough to be with Chance, and thinks her sense of hippie or eclectic style does not mesh well with the smooth and suave style of Chance. Corine is sarcastic and realistic about things, except when it comes to herself, and that's probably because of events in her past. She is humble and does not give herself enough credit; she does not realize how much power she truly has. Corine is likable and realistic. She is someone I could relate to, except for her paranormal ability of course.
The paranormal events in the story are excellent and the southwestern setting only enhances the supernatural theme. The supporting cast of characters are just as likable and lovable as Chance and Corine as well.
Overall an excellent blend of paranormal and urban fiction. There were certainly some plot twists that were unexpected and kept me guessing until the end. And the ending is obviously not the complete end since there are two more books planned.
I am definitely can't wait to get my hands on those.

My Rating: 5/5

What can I say? I really enjoyed it and was sorry it was over....for now.
A big thanks to the gals over at The Book Smugglers for hosting the contest that allowed me to win this book. Make sure you go and check them out sometime. And don't forget Ann's blog also. She has a free excerpt of Blue Diablo up over there, so go check it out. You will not be disappointed.

5 comments:

Angiegirl said...

Thanks for the review, Jenny. Nice to hear you can relate to Corine. I'm very excited to get a hold of it.

Ann Aguirre said...

Thanks for the lovely review!

Angie, make you sure you take a picture if you go pick up a copy. Pics of my book in the wild could win you book money!

Amy said...

I just stared reading this today after reading Kate's review (of Babbling about Books)

I am really enjoying it and I love the Book Smugglers, too!

The Bookworm said...

wow, great review, glad to hear it was so good.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

wow, diablo 3 has many areas that need improvement but i like it
buy d3 gold is a good choice. and i also buy tera gold for tera game

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)