To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Monday, April 27, 2009

Musing Monday (April 27)

Musing Monday is hosted by Rebecca from Just One More Page.
Today's musing is the following:

Do you read non-fiction regularly? Do you read it in a different way or place than you read fiction? (question courtesy of Diane)

Not really. If the book strikes my fancy, then yes. One of last books I read, Jantsen's Gift was non-fiction. I tried it because it sounded appealing, and it was. It was different than what I normally read. I read another non-fiction book earlier this year about Madame de Stael. It was a biography of sorts and quite interesting. It read like story, which her life certainly was.

Normally I don't pick up non-fiction because I read for entertainment and to immerse myself in the story. To be transported to another time and place. The few biographies I've tried have not done that for me. Interesting, but a bit boring. One, the story of Ava Gardner was nice reading but I grew bored with it. The pace was rather slow.

I don't read non-fiction in a different way, not consciously I guess. Maybe I don't understand that part, because I certainly don't understand the bit about the place.

Can you recommend a good non-fiction story for me? Something historical but not too dry maybe?

How about you? Do you occasionally read non-fiction? If so, what?

6 comments:

The Bumbles said...

I do enjoy NF - if it is presented like a story rather than a dry biography. I like to intersperse NF with Fiction and throw in a good Memoir here and there to mix things up. Here are some NF that I would recommend:

-Flags of Our Fathers, J. Bradley (WW2 effect on men depicted in the flag raising on Iwo Jima)
-Among Schoolchildren, T. Kidder (everyday life of a teacher in a poor city)
-House, T. Kidder (the trials & tribulations of one family's house construction)
-Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil, J. Berendt (sensational murder in Savannah)
-The Perfect Storm, S. Junger (rogue storm off New England and the fishing vessel that disappeared)
-The Monster of Florence, D. Preston (serial killer in Italy)
-In Cold Blood, T. Capote (random murder in America's heartland and the people behind it)
-Three Cups of Tea, G. Mortenson (one American man's efforts to educate the children of Pakistan & Afghanistan)
-Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World, V. Myron (a kitty and a librarian spreading love)
-The Devil in the White City (Chicago's world fair and a serial killer in the midst) - I have just started this one - so far so good!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I like fiction books the most. I just finished "World Without End" by Ken Follett. Very long book but good.

Also you mind try:
"Until You" by Bernice Small
"The Beach House" by James Patterson
"The Senator's Wife" by Sue Miller

Have a great day!

Sherrie

Jenny Girl said...

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is the whole reason why I want to vacation in Savannah. Loved that book!

Thanks to you both for adding to my TBR list :)

Nise' said...

Marley and Me is a great NF book! I don't read too many NF book either.

Jenners said...

I'd love for you to try Bill Bryson. He is so funny and accessible and your LEARN stuff. Try "Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way."

Or try "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs -- he spends one year trying to live as closely to the rules of the Bible as possible. Amusing and educational.

And for a fun and happy memoir, perhaps "A Girl Named Zippy" by Haven Kimmel would be good for you. It is about growing up in a small town in the Midwest. As good as any novel I've read.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I'm not a huge fan of Non-fiction...with exceptions. Oddly enough, when it comes to TV...tend to prefer history channel, animal planet, etc. Yes, I'm a dork.

I think the last non-fiction book I read was The Devil Comes on Horseback which was a powerful, heart-wrenching book.

I, like you, enjoy the entertainment factor of reading. Getting lost in a story...and usually non-fiction books don't allow for that.

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)