To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Review: Backstage Pass by Olivia Cunning

Backstage Pass by Olivia Cunning
Publisher: Sourecbooks Casablanca
Genre: Erotic Romance
Trade paperback, 384 pages
Book Source: Danielle from Sourcebooks
My Rating: 83/100

From the publisher:

It's all about sex, love and rock'n roll in this hot new erotic romance series by author Olivia Cunning, featuring a rock band called the Sinners, 5 hot young musicians touring the country and basking in their fame and all the glory--and sex--that goes with it...and one by one, falling in love. It's been months since Brian Sinclair, lead guitarist for the famous rock band, The Sinners, composed anything. Unable to write the music that once flowed so naturally, Brian is lost without his musical mo-jo. But when sexy psychology professor Myrna Evans comes on tour to study groupie mentality, Brian may have found the spark he needs to re-ignite his musical genius. When lust turns to love, will Brian be able to convince Myrna that what they have is more than just a fling, and that now that he's found his heart's muse, he doesn't want to live without her?

My Thoughts:

Myrna is attending a professional conference when she bumps into the Sinners, who happened to be staying at the same hotel.  Myrna introduces herself and has an immediate connection or spark with Brian.  Needless to say, it doesn't take long for Brian and Myrna to become better acquainted.  This is an erotic romance so the sex scenes are hot and pretty creative.  This was not a book I read in public. 

Myrna becomes Brian's muse for writing music and he convinces her to join the tour with the band.  Since Myrna can't keep her hands off Brian, she considers it and realizes joining the tour would provide her with a golden opportunity to study groupie mentality.  While on tour with the band, Myrna and Brian continue to explore their sexual attraction, but we learn more about them.  Both are tortured souls who have been hurt badly in the past.  There are some scenes where Brian and Myrna take a detour from sex, to get to know each other better.  It is Brian who initiates this and it's very sweet, especially in the middle of all the action.  Brian was very likable; he was a sweetheart.  Myrna on the other hand ....I did not like her, not one bit.

I got the impression right away that Myrna was older than Brian, significantly older, and for some reason, that bothered the crap out of me.  Later in the story it is revealed that she is 7 years older than Brian, if I remember correctly.  Anyway, I get that she has this feeling of sexual empowerment or superior knowledge due to her profession, but it was too much for me.  Myrna was too dominant female for me, and she was like that with everyone in the band.  At one point on the tour, Myrna made a comment to herself about being the tour "Mom".  I felt as though Myrna was trying to recapture her youth or something.  If the ages were reversed, and Myrna was still the dominant female, I don't think it would have bothered me so much.  Maybe it was the way in which she did or said things, I don't know, but Myrna rubbed me the wrong way.  Brian and his crazy ass band mates on the other hand, I had no problem with.  Go figure.

If you are squeamish or straight laced, this book may not be for you.  In addition to the sizzling love scenes, there are some female groupies in the book, and the band mates are not so nice to them.  Their opinions of groupies are pretty low, and they view them as mattress toys. Not a positive view of females, but lets face it, these gals are out there, and this is what they live for.  Didn't bother me, but it may bother you.

This was my first erotic romance and I must admit it was quite an interesting read.  I believe this is the first book in a planned series, so I would imagine the rest of the series is about the other members of the band.  Those stories will be interesting for sure, however if Myrna is in them, count me out. 

For more information about Olivie Cunning, please visit her website.

Thanks to Danielle from Sourcebooks for my ARC.

2010 Challenges Met: 100+

 

I am an Amazon Associate.