To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Young Victoria


About a month ago, my mom and I went to see The Young Victoria. We LOVED it! I know the term loved is so extremely over used, but it's true. We didn't want this movie to end, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

The movie starts with a brief glimpse of Victoria's life growing up. Poor girl. The focus quickly shifts to her young adulthood, and the rest is history.





Albert was originally sent to England to woo Victoria, but instead really falls for her for, and she for him. He is honest with her and speaks his mind. Victoria needs and appreciates this. Family members treat Victoria and Albert like pawns, but forget they are very astute people. After marriage and some growing pains, Victoria and Albert come into their own. They are in love and the masters of their own destiny, and what a legacy they leave behind. The movie ends shortly after the birth of their first child...I think. Sorry my memory is fuzzy, regardless it is very early in Queen Victoria's reign.

Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend were excellent in their roles. You could feel their agonies and ecstasies, and their fears about the future. The real world melted away as we watched this movie. Sometimes with historical fiction movies, one tends to notice the gowns and scenery much more than the acting, not so in this case. The acting took center stage and the beautiful clothing and houses were a distant second. (Sorry costume designer.) It should be noted that, all of the parts were well casted.

Can't you just feel the love folks?



So if you are looking to escape the real world for a short time, go see this movie. You will not be disappointed, except to see it end. A sequel would be nice, Duchess Fergie. Just saying.




15 comments:

Jo-Jo said...

Thanks for sharing this...I'm going to add it to my netflix right now before I forget!

Nise' said...

I know I would love this movie. Off to nexflix too!

Blodeuedd said...

I am afraid I was kind of bored my it :( But I did cry a bit at one scene

Irene said...

thanks for your review.

Anna Elliott said...

I've heard such good things about this movie and now your review clinches it! Just added it to my Netflix list, too!

Ash said...

I loved this movie so much. I even cried at the end. It was fabulous.

Tudor Daughter said...

I thought everything about it was beautiful. I will say that I truly think it should have been done as a Masterpiece Series. That way it would have received a much wider audience and they could have continued the story further.

Svea Love said...

I have been dying to see this movie. I sounds and looks so beautiful!

Michelle Santiago said...

i saw this one and i thought it was a really good movie!! i didn't cry but i loved emily blunt in this one. have a great week jenny :)

Unknown said...

I loved the movie too - and I did not know anything about Victoria before the movie. It was definitly visually appealing and the actors were perfect!

Shy said...

I seriously enjoyed this movie and a must watch to those who enjoy historical fiction! Very good review =)

Sarah Holiday said...

Oh boy oh boy! When will the movie come in our country? I am always aware that we are always behind with the latest movie! Darn! I would really love to watch it.. i love these type of movies.. it's like using a time machine and rewind myself to history.. :)

Mary Simonsen said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've read mixed reviews on it, so now I'll think I'll give it a chance. It's still in limited release here in Phoenix.

Teddyree said...

Alaine & I loved it too :-)

Tales of Whimsy said...

She's a fantastic actress. I need to check this out.

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)