To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Friday, February 19, 2010

Review: The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer


Genre: Fiction, romance
Trade paperback 368 pages
Book source: Sourcebooks (They have reprinted, I think, most of her books.)

From Amazon.com

Jack Carstares—an Earl turned highwayman—and his enemy—the enigmatic Duke of Andover—who engage in an intense rivalry over society beauty Diana Beauleigh…

Seven years before our story opens, Carstares protected his brother by allowing himself to be disgraced for cheating at cards. His brother, suffering intense guilt, isn't aware that they played right into the hands of the Duke of Andover.

The disgraced Earl now roams the countryside until a confrontation with his rival thwarts the attempt to kidnap the lovely Diana. But now the Duke is more determined than ever to have Diana for his own, and the two men will meet at sword point before the Earl's name can be cleared and he can claim his fair lady.


My Thoughts:

What a great introduction into the world of Georgette Heyer! How appropriate is it that my first time reading Heyer starts with her first book ever? I read somewhere that Heyer wrote The Black Moth as a means of entertainment for her brother while he was recuperating from an illness in 1921. She was 19 years old at the time and I think she did a fantastic job her first time out.

This story has a little bit of everything:
*A disgraced Earl
*An evil villain
*A damsel in distress
*Rescuing and sword fights
*Romance
*And of course a happily ever after

Reading this book reminded me of old swashbuckler movies I have seen, like Ivanhoe, or something with Errol Flynn in it. Heyer's work starts by introducing the players in the story one by one with some depiction of their character. Her physical descriptions are quite good as well, because I was able to visualize the Duke of Andover and his sardonic smile. The hero of the story is then introduced, the disgraced Earl of Wyncham, who is disgraced for the sake of his family. Little by little the scenes are played out and the story progresses. The sword fights were also quite entertaining and did have me anxiously reading especially towards the end.

The story is a bit simplistic and there is not an abundance of character development, but The Black Moth certainly provided me with some much needed entertainment. Although the plot is predictable, Heyer builds suspense into the story that kept me reading. This book was pure fun for me and has certainly made me a fan of Heyer. Why did I wait so long to read one of her books?

Researching on the Internet, I discovered that apparently these characters, or shades of them, come up again in three other Heyer works: These Old Shades, Devil’s Cub, and An Infamous Army. Guess which Heyer books I will be reading next?

My Rating: 97/100 I told you I loved this book!

Here's an interesting website that has tons of info about Heyer, and excerpts from her books.

This is her Wikipedia site.

A a heart felt thanks to Danielle from Sourcebooks for my review copy. She has made me a Heyer admirer :)

2010 Challenges Met: 100+, Historical Fiction, Reading Romance

11 comments:

the drew said...

Hey there,

I stumbled across your blog and I saw that you're a dedicated follower of literature, so I wanted to drop you a line and let you know that I'm currently setting off an a journey you may be interested in. My goal is to read all of the Pulitzer winning novels in one year and write a memoir about my experiences. I would love it if you checked it out and gave me some feedback as I journey along!

You can follow me at www.thepulitzerblog.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Drew

Blodeuedd said...

Oh I love those kinds of old movies :D I am sure I would love heyer too

Svea Love said...

I am really looking forward to reading some Heyer books soon! Comparing this book to a movie with Errol Flynn makes me really want to read this one!!! I love the old movies like that :)

Nise' said...

Glad you enjoyed your first Heyer! I am having a hard time choosing my 2nd one!

Staci said...

I am so glad that I read Heyer last year. The Grand Sophy was beyond wonderful. Now I'm going to hunt down this one!! I love her romance books!

(The) Ladybug Lounge said...

I've always meant to read something by Heyer but still have never gotten around to it. She sounds like an excellent author. Thanks for the review.

Trisha said...

What a great review! You really made me want to go out and convince my husband to buy this for me...I'm on a book buying ban.

Anonymous said...

I hope to read my first Heyer soon. If you loved this one so much I'm sure I'll love her!

Arleigh said...

I love Heyer novels! I have not read this one... An Infamous Army is one of her detailed historicals, and much different from the romances. Thanks for the review :)

Teddyree said...

Ok now this is one I will try, thanks to your enthusiasm. I've only read one Heyer and it was 'meh'. Thanks for the wonderful review!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I SOOOOO need to read some GH :)

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)