To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 4: Armchair BEA: Beyond Your Blog



So, you enjoy writing do you? Would you like to be involved elsewhere on the interwebs or possibly start writing for your local paper? Perhaps you'd simply like to start drawing an income from your blog? 


Today we'd love you to share your top tips for getting beyond your blog! Have you done any freelance writing? Are you monetizing your blog and how so? How do you make connections outside the book blog community on the internet? If none of these apply we'd love for you to share a fun aspect about your blog or life that may be completely separate from books!





On the topic of writing…I do and don’t enjoy writing.  Once I get going I usually can’t be stopped, but then I have issues with how to end it.  All throughout school I always hated that ending paragraph.  Still do even at work.  The actual writing process I’m pretty good with, although I haven’t taken a writing course since college English.  I think a refresher course would be valuable, since I feel as though I ramble in some of my reviews.  A bit disorganized jumping from thought to thought. 

Freelance writing sounds interesting, but not sure it’s something I want to do.  Maybe for lack of time and subject matter.  What in the world would I write about?  Not sure I’m super knowledgeable in one particular area, except for Medicare and coding rules, that could translate into freelance writing.  I could attempt an article for a professional magazine, but then there’s this whole process thing that goes with getting “published”, and I’m just not that interested in it.  I guess I’m a bit of an underachiever.

On monetizing my blog….I’ve flirted with that idea, but I am not a hard core blogger.  Also, I started blogging for personal reasons and there are many personal posts on my blog, so to open myself up even more….eh I don’t think so.  I know once something is up on the web it’s there for everybody, but monetizing means more people looking and that’s not who I am.  Besides, that why I work several jobs so there’s no need to include blogging in there as well.

On making connections outside the book blogging community…I’m a bit of a loner, so I don’t make too many connections.  I have my two knitting girlfriends, who are my closest friends anyway.  I attend professional meetings, where I hook up with acquaintances, and hang out with co-workers from time to time.  However, when I eventually move from Philly, there will only be a few people I will stay in contact with.  I have lots of “friends” but have always been comfortable being by myself.  Don’t get me wrong, I make friends everywhere I go, the gym, other dog owners, but deep down connections, not really.

On a fun aspect of my life or blog….oh I don’t know.  You know about the knitting and the TV watching.  I recently started teaching college level course, and that’s kind of fun.  It’s a great deal of work but I enjoy it.  I learn from my students every semester, and I’ve been lucky to have wonderful students.  Interesting people really.  All in all I’m a pretty easy going, go with the flow kind of person.  I will try almost anything, and try to see the bright side of life.  It’s too short to be sad and unhappy.

Lastly, sorry for not participating too much this week.  I will be getting around to see people and chat, it's just that real life got in the way.  Darn it!



© Jenny Girl - 2012 "All Rights Reserved"