To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Review: Benny and Shrimp by Katarina Mazetti


Author: Katarina Mazetti
Publisher: Penguin Group 2009 (First published in Sweden in 1998)
Genre: Fiction, romance
Paperback, 207 pages
Book Source: FSB Associates

From Penguin Group (USA):

An international sensation, this addictively readable tale asks the question: Why is it so impossible to get a relationship between two middle-aged misfits to work? The answer lies in the story of Shrimp, a young widowed librarian with a sharp intellect and a home so tidy that her jam jars are in alphabetical order; Benny, a gentle, overworked milk farmer who fears becoming the village's Old Bachelor; and an unlikely love that should not be as complicated as it seems. Reminiscent of the works of Carol Shields, this quirky, humorous, beautifully told novel breathes new life into the age-old conundrum that is love.

My Thoughts:

This is the story of two 30-something people discovering love and themselves. What a great little story, very entertaining and sweet too. The chapters alternate between Benny and Shrimp, and the both of them are funny in their own right. Maybe even a wee bit snarky, which I personally like.

Benny and Shrimp have both lost someone who was close to them. These people whom have been lost kind if defined who and what Benny and Shrimp were. Although sad, Benny and Shrimp can now focus and pay attention to their themselves, their wants and needs. They can learn to be their own person. In this process they find each other, and unknowingly help each other with their self-discovery process. They figure out what they really want out of life, and learn not to settle. They are such a cute couple!

My Rating: 93/100 Delightful quick read.

Challenges Met: Romance Challenge 2009

Special thanks to Caitlin from FSB Associates for sending me a copy for review.

15 comments:

Jo-Jo said...

This sounds like such a sweet book. Thanks for the review.

bermudaonion said...

This book does sound charmingly delightful. Thanks for the review.

Staci said...

I really enjoyed your review, now I can't wait to get to my copy!!!

Jenny Girl said...

Thanks gals! It was a very quick read.

Anonymous said...

I'd read other reviews, but must have missed that fact that is was short! If I am going to make my book goal by the end of the year I need a few good ones that I can get through quickly :)

Lucy said...

I love 'delightful quick reads'! Great review with so much detail- Thanks:)

Cecelia said...

I've been reading good things about this book around the web - thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I have an award for you here.

Nise' said...

Glad you liked this one as I just requested it today!

BurtonReview said...

This story sounds heartwarming, I've seen positive reviews elsewhere for it as well.
You have the BINGO AWARD here at The Burton Review to do with as you would like, I just wanted you to know it was there & that I appreciate your comment on my blog and your own blog posts.

Teddyree said...

Lovely review Jenny, have read lots of good things about Benny & Shrimp and your review confirms them. This one is going on my wishlist :-)

The Bookworm said...

I loved this book!
great review ;)
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I read BENNY & SHRIMP this weekend and absolutely loved it! I agree with your "delightful quick read" summary ... it truly is!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a sweet, quick read. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

I so want to read this one. The title alone is great! By the way, I have 4 reading companions. One actually steals books out of my hands if he feels I am ignoring him!

Darlene said...

Gosh I hope to get to this soon. Things have been so crazy lately though.

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)