To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Friday, December 30, 2011

Review: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is on the most dangerous quest of his life. With the help of a satyr and a daughter of Athena, Percy must journey across the United States to catch a thief who has stolen the original weapon of mass destruction – Zeus’ master bolt. Along the way, he must face a host of mythological enemies determined to stop him. Most of all, he must come to terms with a father he has never known, and an Oracle that has warned him of betrayal by a friend.


My Thoughts:

I tried to write an ode to Percy Jackson because I adored this book so much, but I am just not that clever.  Plus, you have all probably read and finished this series already.  I am uber late to this party.  So let me just point out what and why I loved this book so much:

  • The use of Greek Mythology is interesting and cool; and something many stories do not feature.  At least not the ones I read.
  • The gods and goddesses always have children with humans, and I liked how the children of the gods plays out in the books.  
  • Humanizing Poseidon that way...I've always liked him the least until now.
  • The use of ADHD: why it's special and making it normal for the half-bloods...LOVED it!
  • The themes that are in the story for children who read this series. 
  • the adventure of it all.  This book was a page turner for me.  I am so sorry I didn't read this sooner, and more sorry I haven't moved on to Book 2.
  • Making Percy and his friends likable.  They are young yet mature in some ways.  
  • All of the secondary characters, even the baddies, added to the fun of the story and I can't wait to see how they turn up again.
You guys know all this good stuff already.  I just had to add my 50 cents.


The author's website: http://www.rickriordan.com/home.aspx

My Rating: 100/100

Publisher: Hyperion Books
Genre: Teen/YA/Fantasy
Hardback 375 pages
Book Source: borrowed from the library

© Jenny Girl - 2011 "All Rights Reserved"