To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Suddenly Sunday

Hosted by Svea from The Muse on the Fog

Hello dear readers!  Hope you having a lovely November Sunday.  November already...can you believe it?!  These days are going by so quickly.  I'm sure you are all planning your holiday festivities like me.  What cookies to bake, parties to attend, etc.  In terms of reading, I haven't read much.  All my plans for spooky reading took a back seat to the Mysteries of Udolpho, but I don't mind.  That book was wonderful, and I'm glad I finally read it.

I also finally read The Luxe by Anna Godberson.  This review is due to post on Royal Reviews first, but will eventually appear here as well.  What a deliciously sinful book!  It was so fun to read, and I am debating about requesting the rest of the series from the library.  That and the remainder of the Hunger Games series.  I'm thinking I can squeeze those in before the end of the year.  I have plans for my 2012 reading already.  I'll save the details for later.

In terms of non-bookish stuff, October was a busy month for me.  I attended a training seminar for work which was three days of hard core learning.  Two online classes required completion before attending the seminar too.  It was intense but well worth it.  Work is always busy, and I recently learned my boss and I are undertaking a big humongous project.  It is daunting to be sure, but interesting and something I enjoy: education efforts.  Yea!  Maybe I should have been a teacher :)

On the social front, not much.  I like sticking close to home and relaxing with my hubby.  I did however attend the opera with my mom.  We went to a production of Carmen at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia.  It was our first opera and it was a wonderful experience.  We had the cheap seats, so our view was slightly obstructed, but the music and singing was awesome!  I had a vague idea of what Carmen was about, but never realized she was such a trollop!  We will definitely go to the opera again.

Half of the experience was the Academy itself. (Link to history)  It is so old you can not help but imagine America's ton going to the opera and sitting in their boxes.  Loving historical fiction helps too.   The Academy opened in 1857 and was called the Grand Old Lady of Locust Street.  Although paintings may be touched up, statues polished, and seats recovered, the size, shape, design, everything is original.  When one speaks about the Academy, the chandelier inevitably comes up.  It weighs about 5,000 pounds and it is exquisite.  Here are some photos of the inside from my phone:



The detail on the statues holding up the roof

From the last row in the top most tier.

If you are ever in Philly., I would recommend trying to catch a show or something at the Academy.  It is a treat   Have a great week everyone :)